ABOUT DAVE GUTRY
Dave started on Waiheke Island where he completed his apprenticeship, and in 1980 qualified as a Certified Automotive Engineer. Dave owned a BP Service Station
and Automotive workshop on the island for 16 years, employing between 5 and 8 staff.
This involved all aspects of the motor trade - from cars and trucks, to lawn mowers, chainsaws and tractors.
The odd pushbike even. Yacht and outboard motors were also frequently thrown in the mix.
Dave has been an avid yachtie from a very young age, gaining a wealth of boating experience.
Dave has many offshore sailing adventures under his belt, one of which ended in Dave becoming Chief Engineer at Musket Cove Resort, Fiji.
This involved running of the Mechanical workshop on the island with a staff of seven.
Work undertaken at Musket Cove included:
- Maintenance on resort generator systems, which included Caterpillar, Dorman, Perkins and Mirrlees Blackstone engines
- Fast ferry boats with Caterpillar engines
- Yamaha outboard motors
- Small Yacht maintenance
- Ford tractors, Clark loader and Hitachi & Komatsu excavators
- Servicing cars, vans, motor bikes, brush cutters, electric golf carts and lawn mowers
- Installation of engines, transmissions, steering and electrical systems to an 18-meter Malcom Tennant fast catamaran ferry
- Installation of hydraulic system for Island Draw Bridge
- Maintenance and slipping of 16 to 20 meter catamaran ferry boats, Yachts, Trimarans, long boats and runabouts
Since 2000 Dave has worked full time in the Marine Industry having worked for
three franchise dealers specialising in Yamaha, Volvo Penta and OMC. Gaining
valuable experience and completing specialist dealer training.
DAVE'S QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDE
- Yamaha Outboard Technical Training (NZO232004) 9/2004
- Volvo D4 & D6 Engine Systems 8/2004
- Volvo D3 Engine Systems 7/2004
- Volvo EVC Installation D3,D4 & D6, Vodia. 8/2004
- Volvo Drive Units DPH,SX. 9/2004
- Fischer Panda Generator Sets. 11/2004
- Mastervolt Generator Servicing 11/2004
- Volvo Duoprop Stern drives 6/2005
- Volvo XDP Composite stern drives 7/2005
- AECS Automotive Electronic Diagnostic 08/2006
- Yamaha Outboard Technical training 8/2005
- Yamaha Outboard Technical Bronze Level 08/2006
- Yamaha Outboard Technical Silver Level FI, PTT, engine assembly 08/2006
- Yamaha Outboard Advanced Outboard Rigging 09/2006
- Yamaha Outboard Technical Silver Level Electrical, lower unit, 09/2007
- Yamaha Outboard 2007 New Model Technical Featuring - F350, 09/2007
- Yamaha Technical Academy, Outboard Technical Bronze Level, 10/2008
- Yamaha Technical Academy, Outboard Technical Update 2009, 09/2009
- Volvo Penta, Online Warranty Training 2008
- Volvo Penta, DPH drive Overhaul 16-17 June 2009
- Volvo Penta, Sales and Application Training 2010
- Volvo Penta, Vodia Training 2010
- Volvo Penta, IPS Training 2010
- New Zealand Trade Certificate in Automotive Engineering, 1980
- Electronic Fuel Injection and Emission Control, Carrington Poly tech,1991
- Fast Diesel technology, Unitech Auckland,1994
- Authorised Vehicle Inspector For Warrant of Fitness, 1980
- Land Transport Safety Authorised- In Service Certifier #A07543
- N Z Certificate of Competency, Boatmaster, 1990
- N Z Certificate of Competency, Master of Pleasure Yacht Coastal, 1990.